2011-03-22

King of Mountain, Dedication to Persephone and Mandrake


My last photo report was completely devoted to the magnificent views opening from Mount Carmel.
Today, I offer to look not into the distance but under foot.
But in the beginning – the photos of family living at the foot of Mount Carmel in kibbutz Yagur. The true “King of the Mount” headed a small group consisting of father and three children. He went forward with confidence and when we turned to an easier path, this group continued a claiming to mount and the dog led them forward.
During a stroll we stopped, photographed and admired with magnificent views, but sometimes shifted the gaze to a sight that was closer, than an opposite slope. Namely – I’ve recalled - I’m flora designer, and photographed the miracle flora of Mount Carmel. It can be written a lot of books about plants of bible Carmel so today I’ll tell only about two but really magic plants.
I met Mandrake and Asphodelus.




Mandrake is mentioned in Old Testament when the eldest son of Jacob and Leah find mandrakes, and infertile Rachel (mother of Josef) barters with Leah for them but only years after did Rachel manage to get pregnant. Mandrake in Hebrew means “love plant”.  




Asphodelus connected with Persephone (the daughter of Zeus and the Queen of the underworld), who appears crowned with a garland of asphodelus.
I remind, both plants grow in National Reserve so I admired and photographed them only.
I don’t finish the story of Mount Carmel today. Soon we shall visit the cave of the prophet Elijah.


No comments:

Post a Comment