2010-10-09

Vienna. The Project "Kunstplatz-Karlsplatz"

Today I wanted to finish the story about Karlsplatz and continue a walk, but while I was writing about, I remembered Otto Wagner’s words: “It isn’t city square it is an area”. I tried to present my telling in compact form but after all I’ve decided to continue the detailed description.
We still are near to Karlskirche. In front of church is constructed a water reservoir. The sculpture “Hill Arches” (photo 1) designed by English sculptor and artist Henry Moore is located in water in front of the Karlskirche. First of all, it may interest connoisseurs of modern art. The sculpture was presented to the City of Vienna by artist in 1978.
Now we shall take a short walk through the Ressel Park (photo 2). Today my post is devoted to Karlsplatz as the Art Project. This project named “Kunstplatz-Karlsplatz” was launched in 1997. The goal of this project is the coordination and cooperation among the entire spectrum of cultural instituted situated around the Karlsplatz.
Hidden in a shadow of trees and bushes, there is a monument to Johannes Brahms (photo 3). The author of monument is Rudolf Weyer and it was unveiled on May 7, 1908. When I come up to the monument, I always wanna stay a little in front of it or sit down on a nearby bench, I fell marvelous calmness in this place.
The monument is no mere chance located here. The city of Vienna thus honoring the great composer and the second reason is – the Wiener Musikverein/ Viennese Music Association (photos 4, 5) is situated just on the opposite side. The concert Hall was constructed on the place granted by Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph to Wiener Musikverein in 1870. The Musikverein is famous for its acoustics and is considered to be one of the three finest concerts Hall in the world.  
I only need to add, Musikferein is the home stage of the Viennese Philarmonic Orchestra and exactly in this Concert Hall, the famous Vienna New Year’s Concert is held here.
We shall finish today’s walk with sculpture created by Austrian sculptor of early 20th century, Anton Hanak. The sculpture is named “Last of the Mankind” (photo 6). And I would like to stop just here and think about so fragile but very important life of each person. 






                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment